Skip to content
vegan barbecue jackfruit burritos
March 25, 2020
- 6 Mikey’s Gluten-Free Cassava Burrito-Size Tortillas
- Avocado or grapeseed oil cooking spray
- 2 (14 ounce) cans jackfruit, packed in water, drained
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sugar-free barbecue sauce
- 3 avocados
- 2 fresh limes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Spray both sides of burrito-size tortillas lightly with cooking oil spray and place in skillet, one at a time. Grill on both sides until soft and pliable, about 20 seconds for each side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Place drained jack fruit in a bowl and pull apart until shredded. Set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat. When pan is hot, add olive oil, onion, peppers and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft.
- Add garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, cajun seasoning and cumin. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add shredded jackfruit, black beans and barbecue sauce sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While jackfruit simmers, combine avocado, juice from both limes and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Mash avocados with a fork until slightly chunky.
- Layer burritos with cooked rice, jackfruit mix, avocado mash, diced tomatoes and cilantro.
- Fold burritos, cut in half and serve.