vegan barbecue jackfruit burritos
Jackfruit has a meaty texture and neutral flavor, making it the perfect swap for pulled pork or chicken in this vegan barbecue jackfruit burrito recipe. Add black beans, rice, avocado, onions and peppers for a hearty, healthy dinner.
- 6 Mikey’s Gluten-Free Cassava Burrito-Size Tortillas
- Avocado or grapeseed oil cooking spray
- 2 (14 ounce) cans jackfruit, packed in water, drained
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sugar-free barbecue sauce
- 3 avocados
- 2 fresh limes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Spray both sides of burrito-size tortillas lightly with cooking oil spray and place in skillet, one at a time. Grill on both sides until soft and pliable, about 20 seconds for each side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Place drained jack fruit in a bowl and pull apart until shredded. Set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat. When pan is hot, add olive oil, onion, peppers and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft.
- Add garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, cajun seasoning and cumin. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add shredded jackfruit, black beans and barbecue sauce sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While jackfruit simmers, combine avocado, juice from both limes and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Mash avocados with a fork until slightly chunky.
- Layer burritos with cooked rice, jackfruit mix, avocado mash, diced tomatoes and cilantro.
- Fold burritos, cut in half and serve.
Sat Fat3 G